A Look Back at Shark Tank
Posted on February 07 2013
Our episode of Shark Tank is re-airing tonight on ABC at 8 p.m., so I thought I would take a stroll down memory lane.
Although our actual segment on Shark Tank only lasted 10+ minutes, we stood negotiating in front of the sharks for well over an hour. It was an incredibly stressful yet exhilarating experience. How often does one have an idea, turn it into a product, and then pitch the business to moguls like the "sharks"!
Things I never want to forget:
- Getting called back after each round of casting
- Landing, not one, but TWO sharks as investors/business partners
- The fun viewing party we had with close friends and family at our old high school, where Mark and I met
- Running [and growing] this business, hand-in-hand, with my husband
- Opening my email inbox after our Shark Tank segment aired and seeing 3000+ emails.
- Receiving our first email from Mark Cuban and Robert Herjavec
- All the amazing people we've met as a result of this business and being on the show
- All the friends, family, colleagues, and strangers who've helped us get to this point
Things I'd like to forget:
- Mark spilling a bottle of water down his shirt moments before our taping
- The eternal wait in between each round of casting
- Wondering if we would ever get the chance to pitch in front of the sharks
- Going on backorder for months soon after our segment aired = a lot of lost revenue for a small business like ours
- The incredible stresses [& sleepless nights] of owning and running a small business
Overall, our experience on Shark Tank has been like the gift that keeps on giving. Now that it's been about a year since we first appeared on Shark Tank, people often ask us, "Was it worth it?" and "Would you do it again?" Absolutely! One thing I learned about entrepreneurship is that you have to seize every opportunity, and not take luck and timing for granted.