Back to School = Back to Packing School Lunches (Featured Giveaway!)
Posted on August 29 2015
Back-to-School is always an exciting time for so many reasons, but in all honesty, the one thing I dread about the kids going back to school is packing lunches. I know it shouldn't be THAT difficult, but sometimes I'm just out of ideas, and I'm tired of making the same things.
All three of my girls have a milk protein allergy (that they're starting to grow out of, thankfully), so I've been packing dairy-free lunches for the past 7 years now. Aside from leftovers, these are my go-to school lunches. My kids love hot meals, so I just heat these up, throw them into a thermos in the morning, and they're good to go.
- pasta (spaghetti or pasta with pancetta and peas)
- fried rice (see Gywneth Paltrow's recipe or my super easy version below)
- chicken nuggets
- chicken burritos
- chicken noodle soup
- "sushi" - avocado slices and rice in nori (seaweed)
- teriyaki chicken with rice and broccoli
- sandwiches/wraps: sunflower seed butter + jam OR ham + avocado OR hummus + cumcumber
Along with these "entrees," I always pack a side of fruit for something sweet + extra nutrients. I wanted to share a quick and easy way to make fried rice that makes for a [relatively] healthy meal. I love making this when I have leftover rice from Chinese food take-out.
Super Easy Fried Rice:
- Heat a large fry pan and add cubed pancetta/cubed hot dogs/whatever meat you want. You can also omit the meat. Cook until browned.
- Chop half a small onion and saute.
- Add frozen vegetables and saute for a couple minutes until heated through.
- Add cooked rice
- Season with soy sauce. If the fried rice starts to look too dark, you can season with salt too.
- Add a sprinkle of sesame seed oil and sesame seeds (if you want)
What are your go-to school lunches?
To kick off the back-to-school season, Lollaland has partnered with Luca & Company and SoYoung for a Back-to-School Lunch Instagram Giveaway valued at $275.
To enter, visit Lollaland's Instagram @lollalandusa and good luck! Both Luca & Company and SoYoung's booths were near the Lollaland Booth at a tradeshow last year. These two companies really caught my attention. The FunPod by Luca & Company has been a God-send ever since I got one. Here's how we use our FunPod in the LollaHome. Oddly enough, my 2-year-old loves to just sit in it and play peek-a-boo, so not only is it functional, but it can make for fun times, as well. As for SoYoung goods - just take a quick look and you'll see why theyr'e so unique and chic! I LOVE their designs and aesthetic.